As Bob Dylan said ‘The times they are a-changin”. Little did he realize the change that would occur in the year 2020. Another historical stake has been driven in the ground, and life as we know it will always be post global pandemic. It sounds scary and was/is, but as always, we adapt, pivot, swivel, whatever you want to call it, and drive forward.
This is true, especially for the tourism and travel industry. After all, we are in the happy people business and there is a whole lotta happy that is required right now. BUT, it’s not business as usual. It’s a trying time to post a comeback after months of being shuttered. The ‘new’ normal is now one of social distancing, barriers, visitor flow, hygiene and reduced occupancies. As governments and experts relax gathering restrictions and allow travel, it’s go time for this creative and innovative group. No, we can’t go back, but we must look forward and figure out solutions as only the travel biz knows how.
Here’s a start, with 11 ways to jump start your business for re-emerging. It won’t save the world, but it’s filled with focus on the little details that might make a difference. Especially when life seems so much more complicated right now.
- Follow the current guidelines for opening and operations
- Brand/customize protective masks for staff
- Get employees to smile with masks on
- Build protective barriers that don’t feel like prison
- Brand/customize hand sanitizer stations (scent free)
- Create fun visitor flow barriers and messaging (plants, arrows, on floor graphics)
- Use positive Covid-19 regulatory messaging
- Brand/customize your credit/debit card tap sticks
- Enhance washroom cleaning and messaging
- Don’t be afraid to invent or adapt a new experience
- Check in frequently with yourself and your team